Monica Basche joined Brown Goldstein & Levy in September 2019. Prior to joining the firm, Monica was a law clerk to Judge George L. Russell, III on the United States District Court for the District of Maryland and to Judge Sally D. Adkins on the Court of Appeals of Maryland.
During law school, Monica was the Executive Articles Editor for the Maryland Law Review. She worked as a student attorney in the Gender Violence Clinic, where she represented clients in family and civil law matters in state court. Monica was also a research assistant to Professor Donald Gifford, whom she assisted with researching and editing the sixth edition of Cases and Materials on the Law of Torts, Harper, James and Gray on Torts, and Keeping Cases from Black Juries: An Empirical Analysis of How Race, Income Inequality, and Regional History Affect Tort Law.
Monica received the 2016 Elizabeth Maxwell Carroll Chesnut Prize, known as the “Dean’s Award,” which is given to a member of the graduating class for excellence in legal scholarship and writing.
Prior to law school, Monica worked for Agora, Inc., where she focused on regulatory compliance for dietary supplements. She also taught English in Moscow, Russia.
Monica is an active member of the Young Lawyers’ Division of the Bar Association of Baltimore City, where she currently serves as the Co-Chair of the Public Service Committee. She was also a member of the Uniform Bar Exam Maryland Law Component Committee, which helped design the new Maryland law portion of the bar exam.
- University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2016
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.A., 2006
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Member at Large, Public Service Committee, Young Lawyers’ Division, Bar Association of Baltimore City, 2018–2019
- Co-Chair, Public Service Committee, Young Lawyers’ Division, Bar Association of Baltimore City, 2018-2019, 2019-2020
- Member, Uniform Bar Exam Maryland Law Component Committee
- Blackburn Limited Partnership v. Paul: The Birth of Maryland’s Statute or Ordinance Rule and Its Ill-Defined “Targeted Class” Requirement, 74 Md. L. Rev. 621 (2015).
- Asylum Seeker Faces Challenge Proving a House Is Not a Home: Evidence of Firm Resettlement Is a High Bar to Clear, Am. Bar Ass’n Media Alerts (Oct. 5, 2015, 3:31 PM).
- “. . . And Access for All” – Fourth Circuit Vacates District Court’s Grant of Summary Judgment on Russian National’s Denial of Access to Courts Claim, Am. Bar Ass’n Media Alerts (Oct. 28, 2015, 4:02 PM).
- Just a Hunch: Fourth Circuit Vacates Conviction of Virginia Man in the Wrong Place, at the Wrong Time, for the Right Reasons, Am. Bar Ass’n Media Alerts (Dec. 3, 2015, 10:59 AM).
- Monica Basche & Michael Collins Jr., Raising the Bar: Law Clerks Pay Tribute to Judge Adkins, 78 Md. L. Rev. 691 (2019).