Brown Goldstein & Levy LLP, a litigation law firm, seeks to hire a full-time Practice Assistant. The Practice Assistant will have the rewarding responsibilities of making documents accessible and collaborating with the Director of Operations to advance company initiatives and goals. Accessibility training will be provided. This role will be challenging and rewarding. Candidates must be initiative-taking, responsive, meticulous, have outstanding organizational skills, and be capable of efficiently multi-tasking and appropriately managing sensitive information. Success in this role also involves the ability to anticipate the needs of the Director of Operations and taking the initiative to solve problems independently, while displaying appropriate judgment.
- Make digital and internal documents accessible
- Work collaboratively with colleagues and clients to ensure clients have access to accessible documents and materials
- Evaluate and procure assistive technology to meet the firm’s needs
- Maintain various records and documents for the firm
- Coordinate complex scheduling and calendar management
- Organize and prepare for meetings, including gathering documents and attending to the logistics of meetings
- Manage incoming documents (log, scan, save and upload) as needed
- Assemble exhibits, hearing binders, and documents as requested
- Maintain various online web accounts (i.e., Dropbox, TLO, Pacer, etc.)
- Maintain bar license requirements and association memberships
- Assist with obtaining vendor quotes for events, software, equipment, etc.
- Back-up for Legal Assistants when out of the office – open cases, draft fee agreements, schedule depositions
- Manage and order firm business cards
- Reception coverage as needed
- Candidate must have strong verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to operate effectively in a demanding environment with little supervision.
- Outstanding planning & organizational skills and meticulous diligence.
- Respect for confidentiality and discretion to responsibly manage sensitive information.
- Ability to confidently interface with executive-level contacts inside and outside the company.
- A “can-do” attitude that focuses on getting the job done in a highly collaborative and positive way.
- Time-management skills
- Excellent multi-tasking skills
- Thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic, flexible environment
Summer Associate – Civil and Criminal Litigation (Summer 2023)
Brown, Goldstein & Levy (“BGL”)—a Baltimore-based litigation boutique with a national presence—seeks to hire a current 2L for a full-time, paid summer associate position. Our 19-lawyer firm provides a broad range of legal services to clients big and small, sometimes one dispute at a time, sometimes through systemic change, but always rooted in our deep sense of community and social responsibility. A significant portion of the firm’s practice is devoted to representing plaintiffs in civil rights cases, in areas such as disability rights, housing discrimination, and police misconduct. The firm also maintains a widely-respected criminal defense practice. See recent updates on the firm’s cases at: https://browngold.com/news/
The ideal candidate is a person with a strong academic record, an excellent work ethic, and a passion for public interest work. BGL is particularly interested in applicants with strong research and writing skills, critical thinking skills, and the desire to affect change in a meaningful way.
Summer associates at BGL can expect to acquire substantive experience on a wide array of matters and are valued members of our litigation teams. Summer associates will have an opportunity to draft portions of briefs and memoranda, interview and maintain contact with clients, participate in litigation strategy, research legal issues, and collaborate with co-counsel on cutting-edge litigation. Our summer program also includes networking opportunities and is generally 8-10 weeks long.
BGL is dedicated to fostering a diverse, inclusive, and supportive workplace environment. BGL is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, writing sample of no more than ten pages, an unofficial transcript, and a list of references to email@example.com. Please write in the subject line – “Summer Associate Application”
We will accept applications until the position is filled; prompt submission of application materials is recommended.