The 2023 Maryland Evidence Courtroom Manual (LexisNexis), revised annually by BGL partner Andy Levy, is now available. Featuring comprehensive coverage of the Maryland Rules of Evidence in a single, convenient, softbound volume, the Maryland Evidence Courtroom Manual is designed to provide fast, authoritative answers to evidentiary questions that arise in the course of trials and hearings.
The Manual includes:
- Complete text of the Maryland Rules of Evidence and evidence-related statutes.
- Rule-by-rule comparisons to the Federal Rules of Evidence
- Practice tips, including authors’ commentary, providing a quick overview of the Rule under discussion, authoritative guidance in interpreting the Rule, and pointers for applying the Rule in actual practice.
- Additional federal and Maryland authorities, providing a starting point for additional research.
- Summaries of significant Maryland evidence cases follow each Rule
- Quick-reference index and Section Locator.
Originally authored by Maryland Law Professor Emeritus, Alan Hornstein, who advised the Rules Committee when Maryland codified its Rules of Evidence in 1995, Andy has been lead author since 2006. Andy is a Fellow of both the American College of Trial Lawyers and the American Academy of Appellate Lawyers, one of the few lawyers in the country to have been inducted as a Fellow of both organizations. In addition to authoring the Maryland Evidence Courtroom Manual, Andy is co-editor of the leading Maryland appellate treatise, Sandler, Levy & Klepper, Appellate Practice for the Maryland Lawyer: State and Federal (MSBA), the sixth edition of which is scheduled to be published this year.
Andy teaches the next generation of lawyers as a part-time Visiting Professor at the University of Maryland Francis Carey School of Law. He has also taught at the University of Baltimore School of Law, and at the Judicial College of Maryland.