“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
Monique Gillum has dedicated her professional career to working on behalf of society’s most vulnerable. At Brown, Goldstein & Levy, Monique helps people navigate complex legal systems and seeks justice for her clients through litigation in various areas of civil rights law, including disability, education, and housing rights, as well as employment discrimination.
Prior to joining Brown, Goldstein & Levy in 2022, Monique served as a Dunn Legal Fellow at the American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia. While there, she litigated both individual and class action cases involving students’ rights, LGBTQ+ rights, conditions of confinement, and First Amendment claims.
Monique graduated from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, where she served as a Public Service Scholar and an Editorial Board Member of the Moot Court Honor Society. During law school, Monique worked on wrongful conviction and capital defense cases as an intern at the Innocence Project and the ACLU Capital Punishment Project. Monique also interned at Seeger Weiss, LLP, where she focused on mass tort matters and complex litigation.
Before law school, Monique worked at the Southern Poverty Law Center with students, veterans, consumers, unhoused individuals, and incarcerated children and adults across the Deep South—Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, and Mississippi. As a policy strategist and non-attorney legal staff member at SPLC, Monique helped launch five federal class action lawsuits and served on three complex civil trial teams.
- The Washington Lawyers’ Committee awarded its Outstanding Achievement Award to the ACLU of Virginia for the work of Monique and her fellow attorneys in Christopher Seaman, et al. v. the Commonwealth of Virginia, et al., 2022
- David vs. Goliath Award, ACLU, 2016
- FAMU Legend, Florida A&M University, 2012
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Spirit of Activism Award, ICC-SCLC, 2008
- President’s Student Leadership Award, Florida A&M University, 2008
Florida Achievement Award, Florida Commission on the Status of Women, 2006