Director of Finance and Operations
We are seeking a Director of Finance and Operations.
The Director of Finance and Operations (DFO) is a key member of the firm’s management team and is responsible for all aspects of the financial and administrative functions of the firm, under the guidance of the Managing Partner, including but not limited to:
Finance and Accounting:
- Review accounting policies and procedures and implement best practices to optimize efficiencies while maintaining appropriate internal controls.
- Manage monthly and year-end close processes, and provide accurate and timely financial reports to the firm’s partners, including active participation in monthly partner meetings.
- Provide management and mentoring for the Staff Accountant, including oversight of the monthly billing and collections cycle and processing of Accounts Payable and Payroll.
- Develop and implement appropriate strategies for enhancing cash flow and position, on a short-term and long-term basis.
- Oversee the profitability analysis, financial analysis, and report generation activities designed to meet reporting requirements and effectively plan for financial needs of the firm.
- Prepare the annual budget and monitor performance against budget.
- Manage the firm’s key financial institution relationships, and ensure compliance with all escrow and trust account rules and regulations.
- Coordinate with external accounting firm with regard to preparation of annual tax returns and quarterly tax payments.
Administration and Operations:
- Manage non-attorney personnel, including recruiting and onboarding, scheduling, and training.
- Responsible for coordination of all aspects of office administration, including scheduling and planning office events (with the assistance of the Marketing Director), managing office space, planning and executing capital purchases, etc.
- Manage the information technology requirements of the office, serving as the liaison with an outside IT consultant and tracking equipment and software inventory and purchases.
- Implement full cycle staffing and recruitment. Ensure that new staff members receive appropriate training and orientation. Develop and refine firm-wide orientation resources.
- Develop and administer human resources policies and procedures; help oversee and provide counsel and assistance regarding employee relations and organizational matters, workers’ compensation, organizational structures, and classification and compensation plans.
- Oversee benefits administration.
- Manage vendor relationships, contracts and records.
- Support the firm in maintaining the highest possible levels of client service and ethical standards.
- Bachelors of Science in Accounting or related field, CPA beneficial but not required.
- At least 8 years of relevant work experience, including direct responsibility for finance and human resources functions.
- Prior experience with TABS or similar billing software.
- Prior experience working for a law firm or similar professional services firm preferred.
- At least three years of supervisory experience.
- Advanced computer skills, including proficiency navigating and creating spreadsheets using Excel.
- Ability to interact effectively with executives, all levels of BGL staff/attorneys, and clients and to gain cooperation from others.
- Cooperative and collaborative attitude, and ability and willingness to develop and mentor direct reports.
Brown, Goldstein & Levy, LLP is an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants – please e-mail your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.