When more than two dozen banks represented by over a dozen top law firms from throughout the country faced a critical hearing involving billions of dollars in the Court of Federal Claims, they chose three lawyers for oral argument: a partner from a large national law firm, Harvard Professor Lawrence Tribe, and Dan Goldstein of Brown, Goldstein & Levy.
The lawyers at Brown, Goldstein & Levy have a broad range of experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants in litigation involving large and small businesses alike. Over the years, we have represented every kind of business – from small, closely held companies to Fortune 500 companies – in every kind of case – from commercial real estate disputes to alleged securities fraud to fights among business partners. And we have done it in virtually every forum, including mediations and arbitrations, administrative agencies, and federal and state trial and appellate courts from Maryland to Alaska. We are cost-effective, staffing cases appropriately and focusing on strategically important issues. Because of our intimate knowledge of local courts, we are frequently asked to serve as local counsel on behalf of other firms in Maryland’s state and federal courts.
U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers ranked Brown, Goldstein & Levy Tier 1 Baltimore for Commercial Litigation and Litigation-Real Estate in the 2018 “Best Law Firms” list. Andy Levy was named the Best Lawyers 2015 Baltimore Real Estate Litigation Lawyer of the Year and selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2018 in the fields of Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, and Real Estate Litigation. Andy Freeman, Dana McKee, and Stu Simms were also selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2018 in the field of Commercial Litigation.
- After a government agency cancelled a software developer’s contract and refused to pay its bill of over $1 million, we developed and executed a strategy that convinced the agency to pay the bill in full and cost the client less than $25,000 in fees.
- Represented minority investor in fight for control of a commercial real estate project worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Represented a publicly traded regional homebuilder in a dispute with its principal lender and again in a disputed multi-million dollar commission to an investment banker.
- Obtained almost-$2 million settlement on behalf of German intellectual property rights holder against major law firm for professional malpractice without filing suit.
- Negotiated repayment of million-dollar investment in a start-up company, plus interest and attorneys’ fees.
- Won dismissal of outside directors from suit for alleged securities fraud that ultimately settled for $7.5 million against other defendants.
- Won dismissal in trial court and successfully defended on appeal, fraud case brought against Fortune 500 company by former owner of company subsidiary.
- Convinced federal bankruptcy court to dismiss fraud action against pharmaceutical company.
- Successfully defended major national retailer against landlord’s attempts to limit product lines.
Representative clients include Waste Management, Deloitte and Touche U.S.A., Volvo Group North America, Comstock Homes, the National Federation of the Blind, and Dickinson College.