The attorneys at Brown, Goldstein & Levy promote fairness, justice, and harmony in the workplace. We pride ourselves on devising creative and practical solutions to workplace issues. We also pride ourselves on our effective and tenacious representation when negotiated solutions are not possible.
Whether you are a top executive or an hourly wage worker, we can help you understand your rights at work, negotiate fair deals, and litigate aggressively when your rights have been violated. Our lawyers provide counseling and advice about employee rights under state and federal employment laws. We help executives negotiate contract and severance terms, file large wage and hour cases to protect employees’ rights to overtime and equal pay, and advocate for employees in whistleblower, discrimination, contract, non-competition, and compensation matters.
Our attorneys have been recognized by their peers for their experience with these issues. Andy Levy was named Best Lawyers 2013 Baltimore Litigation-Labor & Employment Lawyer of the Year. Only a single lawyer in each practice area in each community is honored as the Lawyer of the Year. The lawyers honored as Lawyers of the Year have received particularly high ratings in Best Lawyers’ surveys by earning a high level of respect among their peers for their abilities, professionalism, and integrity. Andy Levy was also elected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2017 in the field of Labor & Employment Litigation.
Andy Freeman was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2017 in the fields of Employment Law – Individuals and Labor & Employment Litigation.
U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers ranked Brown, Goldstein & Levy Tier 1 Baltimore in the areas of Employment Law – Individuals and Labor & Employment Litigation in the 2017 “Best Law Firms” list.
Examples of our employment work include the following:
- Assist executives, doctors, professors, sales representatives, and other high-level employees to negotiate reasonable compensation, severance, non-competition agreements, and other contracts.
- Represent thousands of workers in large “collective actions” to recover millions of dollars in unpaid overtime and wages for time their employer forced them to work “off-the-clock” without pay, and in class actions for failure to promote because of employees’ disabilities.
- Represent executives and other high-level employees in wage payment litigation to recover unlawfully withheld severance pay, bonuses and commissions.
- Litigate cases on behalf of employees who have experienced discrimination and harassment, including cases on behalf of women executives in Equal Pay Act and failure to promote cases.
- Represent resident physicians facing discipline during their training and advise other health care professionals in disputes with their employers and with licensing boards.
- Explain employees’ rights in the workplace, review proposed contracts that employees have been asked to sign, and help evaluate whether employers have violated the law.
- Won summary judgment holding that the owners and operators of the ESPN Zone restaurant in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor violated the WARN Act when they closed the restaurant without providing the employees with the 60-day notice required by law and without paying them the full amount they would have earned had they received that notice.
- More than $4 million won for a female Chief Technology Officer at a high-tech startup who was paid less than other C-level executives.
- $2.4 million recovered for poultry workers’ unpaid overtime and fees.
- $1.75 million won for a senior female executive wrongfully denied promotion by a Fortune 500 company.
- $800,000 verdict plus the renaming of a school in honor of an African American school superintendent whose contract was not renewed because of his race.
- Numerous negotiations of employment, non-competition, and severance agreements.
- Ranked in The Best Lawyers in America 2017 in the fields of Employment Law – Individuals and Labor & Employment Litigation.
- Ranked in the 2017 “Best Law Firms” list by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers Tier 1 Baltimore in the fields of Employment Law-Individuals and Labor & Employment Litigation.
- Best Lawyers 2013 Baltimore Litigation-Labor & Employment Lawyer of the Year.